Team Haiti: Safely on the Ground
Team Haiti has arrived!
All 12 of us made it safely to Port-au-Prince today and are currently getting settled in at the World Orphans’ guesthouse ready to get a good night’s sleep. Tonight the team spent some time together getting prepared for the busy week ahead and planing for the upcoming ministry outreaches. You wouldn’t believe the mounds of donated supplies that our team came with! : ) Additionally, since this is our first day together as a team, we also spent some time doing team building activities to get better acquainted with
each other so that we can work well together as a unit from the get-go. Very excited about the week ahead of us! Everyone on the team is great and has a HUGE heart to serve.
About 3 of our gals our sick, so remember them in your prayers. Actually, Hannah was up all night with a stomach bug and didn’t know if she would even be able to make the flight, but she came anyway. As of a few minutes ago, she feels NO nausea and was able to hold some food down! Thankful for her healing! The other girls have head colds, so please lift them up.
Here is a glimpse into our schedule this week:
- Tomorrow takes us to an orphan village that is home to about 35 children. We will spend the day playing sports, teaching arts and crafts, singing and dancing, etc. This will be a fun day for our team AND the kids!
- On Sunday we will worship Haitian-style with one of the World Orphans church partners. Excited about that! After church we will go into the villages with others from the church to do home visitations.
- Monday we will be working with an orphanage that cares for sick and dying children. Every child that lives there is not only an orphan, but has been diagnosed with a terminal disease. We will spend the day there loving on these kids and assisting in various ways in the home.
- The following day we will help at a school that provides education for orphans in Port-au-Prince. Approximately 50 children attend this school.
- Wednesday we will serve at an infant orphanage that cares for about 80 children. All of these babies are being prepared for international adoption. We will spend the day assisting with various projects on the campus.
- Thursday we will help deliver clean water into one of the poorest slums in Haiti. Our team will help fill containers of over 10,000 gallons of water to people who, on a daily basis, lack access to clean water. This is one of the main reasons that cholera has spread throughout the country, so we are excited to be able to help in any way we can with water distribution! This will probably be the most physically challenging day that we have as a team, so please pray for strength and endurance!
- Finally, Friday and Saturday will be our water filtration system days. We will be working with two churches who are reaching out to the communities around them, focusing primarily on orphans living in homes with families who have taken them in. We will assemble the home water filter systems and them visit homes throughout the area, leaving the filter as a gift. This will be a great blessing to these families who are again living in a country where disease is spreading rampant because of unclean water. World Orphans has raised thousands of dollars to help make this project happen! We are only one of many teams that is helping to provide these filters to families in the area. Excited to be a part of this outreach!
Stay tuned for more updates throughout the week. In the meantime, know that we are all safe and healthy. We covet your prayers and support as we serve throughout the city this week!